When you imagine someone playing video games, you probably picture a teenager staring mindlessly at a screen. He sits alone in the dark, wasting his time slaughtering virtual monsters. Computer and console games have acquired a bad reputation over the past two decades. However, research shows that video games actually have numerous benefits, especially for older individuals. Advances in video game technology have made them more socially interactive and physically challenging. These factors quash negative stereotypes we hold about video games and people who play them. Seniors, in particular, seem to gain enormous positive results from playing these games.
- Improved hand-eye coordination
- Hand mobility – For people suffering from arthritis; hand mobility may increase.
- Pain relief – Video games provide a healthy distraction from pain.
- Fitness – Console games like the Nintendo Wii are immensely helpful in maintaining fitness. Many physical therapists use the Wii Fit game with patients.
- Avoid depression – Researchers found that video games help seniors avoid the pitfalls of depression.
- Speech and cognition – Games have been created specifically to help people improve cognition and speech. They do this in an entertaining manner, so individuals enjoy playing the games.
- Decision-making skills – Some games require quick thinking. Practicing this skill helps seniors flex their “brain muscle.”
Social interaction is extremely important for older individuals. Several video games have options to play online with other people. Players can often communicate with each other and work together or play against one another. Additionally, some games encourage multi-player action. This is a perfect opportunity for seniors in a residential community to play in a group.
Recommended games for seniors
Engaging and cognitively complex games:
— War Thunder
— World of Warcraft
— Brain Age
— Happy Neuron
__ Words with Friends
Games encouraging physical activity and fitness:
— Wii Sports:This game includes boxing, bowling, tennis, baseball and golf.
— Wii Play: This game combines multiple activities like billiards, fishing, and shooting range.
— Link’s Crossbow Training: Purchase the Wii Zapper and get Link’s Crossbow Training, which is a popular shooting game among seniors.
— Mario Kart: A classic racing game loved by people of all ages.
—Dancing with the Stars: A perfect game for fans of the TV series.
— The Price is Right: Based on the classic TV show, fans adore this game.
— Wii Hooked!: Seniors can practice their fishing skills from the comfort of their living room with this game.
Whether a senior lives at home or in a residential community, video games have proven to be beneficial. The majority of games and consoles are considered affordable. This is an important factor for most seniors. The positive results of playing video games are likely worth the minor expense.